BuySellTrade.ca Site Policies
BuySellTrade.ca policies and guidelines are designed to:
protect buyers and sellers
help maintain a safe online environment for all BuySellTrade.ca members, and
uphold laws and regulations.
Fee and Surcharges Policy
There is no charge to place a classified ad on BuySellTrade.ca in most categories. If you choose to upgrade or post your ad in any of the Firearms categories, you’ll be advised what fees you are liable for.
You can pay with the following credit cards:
Transfer of fees or surcharges to the buyer
The listing fee for ads is to be paid by the seller. Sellers are not allowed to transfer these fees to buyer.
Payment surcharges are fees passed to the merchant or seller by a bank or payment service provider for the provisioning of the payment service.
Sellers are not allowed to charge buyers additional surcharges or fees from banks or payment services providers as an additional cost on top of the sale. These surcharges or fees should be included within the total cost of the item.
Be aware that GST may be applicable on certain items that may be purchased on BuySellTrade.ca.
Breaches of this policy
Breaching these policies may result in ad cancellation, account suspension and/or loss of fees on cancelled ads.
BuySellTrade.ca provides members with an opportunity to buy and sell items online.
Our intention is to provide an online environment that is secure for all members. However, because BuySellTrade.ca is not involved in the sale transaction between buyer and seller, BuySellTrade.ca cannot be held accountable, or take any responsibility for a sale and/or transaction.
Disputes between members
BuySellTrade.ca is not liable for any disputes that may arise, nor does it take any responsibility for any requests for refunds, as this responsibility lies entirely with the seller.
Members' responsibility to resolve disputes
If a dispute does arise between buyer and seller, the responsibility for resolution of the issue rests solely with the buyer and seller.
Communication between members
Any disputes that arise during the sale and transaction process may be resolved quickly and efficiently via open communication between the buyer and seller. If a member has any questions, complaints, or issues regarding a sale and/or transaction, they must direct their queries to the other party.
Unresolved issues between members
If a problem cannot be resolved following direct communication and negotiation between the buyer and seller, a dispute may be raised by either party with BuySellTrade.ca.
Raising a dispute
While BuySellTrade.ca will endeavour to help members involved in the dispute by assisting them to reach a mutually agreeable outcome, BuySellTrade.ca will, at all times, remain neutral throughout the entire dispute.
Some actions that BuySellTrade.ca may take following the outcome of a dispute between a buyer and seller include:
issuance of a warning
cancellation of ad(s) (without notice)
restriction of account privileges (limitations on account privileges limits may be placed on an account in advance of suspension)
suspension of an account
termination of an account; and/or
forfeiture of listing fees on cancelled ads.
If required, BuySellTrade.ca will comply with any investigations by law enforcement agencies.
Role of the Seller
Selling items on BuySellTrade.ca is done so solely at your own risk. Furthermore, any transactions or contact with other members of BuySellTrade.ca is conducted entirely at your own risk.
Complying with selling requirements
Complying with the requirements listed below will significantly reduce the likelihood of buyer dissatisfaction, and subsequently will minimize the likelihood of any disputes arising. Furthermore, compliance will also ensure that the transaction is completed in a timely manner.
- Ad details. Responsibility for details that appear in an ad on BuySellTrade.ca rest solely with the seller. The seller must ensure that the ad details (heading, text description and photographs) accurately represent the item for sale. False, misleading, or inaccurate descriptions will likely lead to buyer dissatisfaction, and subsequently delay completion of the transaction.
- Complying with law. It is the seller's responsibility to ensure that items they list do not violate any law. Any known breach will result in BuySellTrade.ca removing the ad from the website. Read prohibited items for further details.
- Complying with the Intellectual Property Rights of Third Parties. The seller must ensure that the listed item does not breach any copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights of a third party. Any known breach will result in BuySellTrade.ca removing the ad.
- Honouring the Transaction Contract (Supplying the Item described in the ad) Listing an item is a commitment to sell. The seller cannot fail to deliver an item after payment has been accepted. The seller must not refuse to accept payment for an item after the buyer has made a commitment to purchase. The seller may not withdraw an item because it has not achieved the price expected. The seller must send the described item to the buyer in a timely manner.
- Ensuring that an Item is not listed multiple times Sellers must not list multiple ads for the same item to BuySellTrade.ca. See Rules for Ads.
In the event that a dispute does occur, the seller must comply with the following:
- Communication with the buyer. Disputes can be resolved quickly and efficiently via open communication with the buyer. Any question, complaints or issues regarding a sale and/or transaction must be directed to the relevant buyer.
- Ethical Conduct. While communicating with the buyer, the seller must not enter into behaviour that is deemed to be defamatory, libellous, offensive, threatening, harassing, or profane.
- Confidentiality. The seller must not use any contact details of the buyer (addresses, email addresses, phone numbers or other information capable of personally identifying the buyer) outside of this dispute process.
- Refunds. The responsibility for any refund rests solely with the seller.
Role of the Buyer
Buying on BuySellTrade.ca is done so solely at your own risk. Transactions and any contact between you and other members of BuySellTrade.ca are conducted entirely at your own risk. The details displayed on BuySellTrade.ca are provided for informational purposes only, and does not constitute an endorsement by BuySellTrade.ca of any ad or member.
Complying with buying requirements (as above)
Complying with the following requirements will reduce the likelihood of seller dissatisfaction, and subsequently will minimize the likelihood of disputes arising. Furthermore, compliance will also ensure that the transaction is completed in a timely manner.
- Honouring the Transaction Contract (Payment). A contract of sale will be formed immediately between the buyer and the seller once the buyer makes a commitment to purchase. This commitment is binding, and consequently, buyers must pay for the items that they commit to purchase in a timely manner.
- Complying with law. It is the buyer's responsibility to ensure that any items purchased do not violate any law. Read prohibited items for further details.
During the dispute process the following behaviours are expected of the buyer.
- Communication with the Seller. Disputes can be resolved quickly and efficiently via open communication with the seller.
- Ethical Conduct. While communicating with the seller, buyers must not enter into behaviour that is deemed to be defamatory, libelous, offensive, threatening, harassing, or profane.
- Confidentiality. The buyer must not use any contact details of the seller (addresses, email addresses, phone numbers or other information capable of personally identifying the seller) outside of the dispute process.
Buyers must be aware that the responsibility for any refund rests solely with the seller.
Warnings & Suspensions
Our rights to terminate, suspend or limit your access
We may suspend, terminate or limit your access to BuySellTrade.ca if:
- we reasonably believe that there is a real risk of loss or damage to us or another if we do not suspend, terminate or limit your access to BuySellTrade.ca (including credit risk resulting from you not paying any fees owed to us on time); or
- the law requires us to do so; or
- we believe on reasonable grounds that providing access to BuySellTrade.ca to you is illegal or may become illegal; or
- we have received a serious complaint or multiple complaints regarding your activity and/or membership; or
- there is an emergency
Note: Members who have registered multiple accounts will have all accounts suspended, terminated or access limited.
Material breach by you: Termination, suspension and limitation of your access
We may bar, suspend, terminate or limit your access to BuySellTrade.ca at any time if:
- we have told you in writing of your breach and you have failed to remedy it within the specified time frame; or
- the breach is something which cannot be remedied (in which case we can cancel the service immediately).
Note: Members who have registered multiple accounts will have all accounts suspended, terminated or access limited.
Our rights to forfeit fees due to continued material breaches by you
If you are in material breach of our terms and conditions and we have barred, terminated, suspended, or limited your access, you must not circumvent this action by any means. This includes but is not limited to placing a further ad under another account name.
If we identify that this has taken place the classified ad will be immediately removed without further notice to you and you will forfeit all fees paid.
If you wish to appeal any decision made regarding your account access please email us.
Online Fraud Policy
We have zero tolerance for anyone undertaking dishonest or fraudulent activity on our site. We have systems and processes to detect and prevent fraud, misuse and other inappropriate conduct.
We review and assess all cases of suspected fraud, and we will report them to law enforcement authorities for investigation as we see fit. We fully co-operate with these authorities when they investigate and prosecute fraudulent activities.
Examples of fraudulent activity
Fraudulent activity includes, but is not limited to:
- Any dishonest or fraudulent act
- Forgery, falsification or alteration of any document, electronic file or account belonging to BuySellTrade.ca
- Forgery, falsification or alteration of documents (for example: receipts, agreements, contracts, electronic files)
- Forgery, falsification or alteration of a cheque, bank draft, or any other financial document
- Misappropriation of funds, securities, supplies, or other assets
- Improperly handling or reporting of money or financial transactions
- Destruction, alteration, removal or inappropriate use of BuySellTrade.ca intellectual property, products or functionality
- Any similar or related inappropriate conduct
Protecting Our Members
We take your privacy and protection seriously. We don't share your personal or financial information with third parties. Ever.
We vigilantly monitor the security of our website, and respond quickly to any report of fraudulent behaviour.
Here's a few ways we keep you safe:
- BuySellTrade.ca is a marketplace of Canadian buyers and sellers - all members must reside in Canada.
- Our policies and guidelines are based on the Canadian Standard for Fraud and Corruption Control.
- We use a range of fraud detection tools and stay informed about online fraud.
- We actively work with law enforcement and government agencies to combat online criminal activities.
If you suspect dishonest or fraudulent activity on BuySellTrade.ca, notify us immediately via email. You should not try to personally conduct an investigation into a suspected fraud. We will treat your report with absolute confidentiality.
The results of our investigations will not be disclosed or discussed with anyone other than those who have a legitimate need to know. This is important to protect the reputations of people or companies who have been suspected of fraud, but who have subsequently found to have been innocent, and to protect the organization from potential liability.
It's important that you contact us as soon as you suspect there may be a fraudulent act on the site. It'll help us keep you and everyone else who uses the site safe.
- Protecting your privacy
- We don't share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
- We don't engage in cross-marketing or link-referral programs with other sites.
- We don't employ tracking devices for marketing purposes ("cookies", "web beacons," single-pixel gifs).
- We don't send you unsolicited communications for marketing purposes.
- Account information is password-protected. Keep your password safe.
- BuySellTrade.ca does not knowingly collect any information from persons under the age of 18. If BuySellTrade.ca learns that a posting is by a person under the age of 18, BuySellTrade.ca will remove that post.
- BuySellTrade.ca, or people who post on BuySellTrade.ca, may provide links to third party websites, which may have different privacy practices. We are not responsible for, nor have any control over, the privacy policies of those third party websites, and encourage all users to read the privacy policies of each and every website visited.
- BuySellTrade.ca will take every reasonable measure to protect your private information. However, due to the nature of the Internet it is possible that that information will be stolen, either after your ad is placed or in transit while your ad is being placed. BuySellTrade.ca does not guarantee that your private information will never be stolen.
- Collection of data
- The only private information collected by BuySellTrade.ca is the email address and your IP (Internet Protocol) address. The phone number, postal or zip code, and any information placed in the body of an ad is not considered to be private information. If this other information is considered to be private by you, please do not provide it.
- BuySellTrade.ca records your IP address for use with anti-abuse measures. Your IP address will not be knowingly revealed to parties outside of BuySellTrade.ca
- We may collect personal information if you provide it in feedback or comments, post it on our classifieds, or if you contact us directly. Please do not post any personal information on BuySellTrade.ca classifieds that you expect to keep private.
- BuySellTrade.ca may from time to time use your email address to send communication to you about this website. BuySellTrade.ca will not sell or rent or knowingly reveal your email address to parties outside of BuySellTrade.ca
- Our servers are located in Canada. Therefore by providing the private information to us you are consenting to its storage in Canada.
- Data we store
- All classified postings are stored in our database, even after "deletion," and may be archived elsewhere.
- Our web logs and other records are stored indefinitely.
- Registered users can access and update their account information through the My Account homepage.
- Although we make good faith efforts to store the information in a secure operating environment that is not available to the public, we cannot guarantee complete security.
Circumstances in which BuySellTrade.ca may release information
- BuySellTrade.ca may disclose information about its users if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process.
To help ensure BuySellTrade.ca is a safe and accessible place to buy and sell online, rules apply to the use of HTML in ad descriptions.
- HTML that is W3C compliant
- URL for image source must be fully qualified (e.g. http://www.) and may include http & https
- jpg, jpeg and gif image file sources
- Links to external site are only permitted when pointing to: more images or information about the item for sale
- Applets, forms, executable files or active content
- Video, sound and animations
- Direct links to downloadable files
- Inputs from Microsoft Word or PowerPoint
- Links to storefronts or websites that offer services or goods for sale
- Dynamic scripting languages (eg Flash, XML, CGI and PHP)
Breaches of the HTML Policy
Breaching this policy will result in the removal of the infringing ad from BuySellTrade.ca website.
Other actions that BuySellTrade.ca may take following the breach of the HTML policy include:
- issuance of a warning
- restriction of account privileges (limitations on account privileges limits may be placed on an account in advance of suspension)
- suspension of an account
- termination of an account
- forfeiture of listing fees.
To the extent allowed at law, BuySellTrade.ca is not liable for any loss caused by the withdrawal or removal from BuySellTrade.ca of any material with which you provide us which is in breach of this policy. The seller must not relist the ad on BuySellTrade.ca, unless permitted to do so by BuySellTrade.ca.
BuySellTrade.ca has a zero tolerance for any person undertaking malicious or fraudulent activities.
BuySellTrade.ca will review and assess all cases of suspected malicious or inappropriate behavior and, at our discretion, report any cases to the appropriate law enforcement authorities for investigation. BuySellTrade.ca will fully cooperate in any investigation and prosecution of perpetrators of malicious or fraudulent activities.
Keyword Spamming Policy
BuySellTrade.ca prohibits sellers from using keyword spam in their ads and listings to unfairly gain attention or inappropriately direct users to their ads and listings.
BuySellTrade.ca considers the following as keyword spam:
- excessive use or repetition of keywords within all titles and descriptions (including short, full and print descriptions)
- use of unrelated keywords to manipulate search results. This includes, but is not limited to, the inappropriate use of brand names, celebrity names, products, and items and services which are not associated with the item being sold.
- BuySellTrade.ca investigates reports of keyword spam and takes appropriate action where an ad or listing is considered to include keywords inappropriately.
Intellectual Property Policy
Responsibility for the item for sale and details of any ad appearing on the BuySellTrade.ca website rests solely with the seller. The seller must ensure the item for sale and the related ad details (headline, text description, and photographs) do not infringe the copyright, trademark, or any other intellectual property rights of a third party.
Any alleged infringements of the intellectual property rights of a third party will result in the removal of the ad from BuySellTrade.ca.
The content on BuySellTrade.ca does not constitute an endorsement by BuySellTrade.ca of any advertisement or seller. BuySellTrade.ca takes no responsibility for sellers who infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party.